Reflecting on Gratitude over Christmas

I've found that moving abroad inspires two primary questions from people "why" and "for how long". 

The first answer changes a bit depending on who I'm talking to; the second is less varied.  Sometimes I say I moved to Copenhagen because I've always wanted to work abroad and being a dumb American who can only do business in English there are only so many potential locations.  Sometimes I say I wanted a new travel hub.  And sometimes I play it straight and explain the cool job opportunity.

My answer to how long I'll be abroad remains far more constant - I say that I'll probably be abroad a few years but I'm focusing on having gratitude for the opportunity and enjoying the here and now rather than planning the future.  Come on!  I started my job nine months ago.  What's the hurry to find a new one?

I remember when my answer and the word gratitude popped out of my mouth the first time.  It seemed so organic and fitting - just the right words for my situation.  Now as I reflect further I realize that this answer is decidedly Danish.  Life in New York involved always planning for some elusive future where I was going to be happier, wealthier and wiser.  I think living in Scandinavia has taught me more about enjoying the right now.  A great example to further portray the contrast between the opposing approaches is the difference between how Christmas is celebrated in the US versus in Copenhagen.

To put it briefly, Scandinavians, celebrate all season long where as I feel that Americans tend to be rushing around preparing to get max enjoyment out of Christmas Day and Christmas Day alone only to wake up on the 26th of December incredulous that it was all over so fast.  In fact, there is a Danish song that refers to Christmas lasting all the way until Easter. 

Christmas gets its start in Denmark on J-Day (J is short for 'Jul', "Christmas" in Danish), the first Friday in November, when Carlsberg launches its annual Christmas beer.  For the rest of the season horse-drawn Carlsberg wagons decked out with garlands and Danish flags delivering the year’s specially brewed Christmas beer can be found clamoring down the street.  Christmas markets are erected around town.  Yes, yes, I know we have those in New York too but here their primary purpose isn't elbowing others out of the way while shopping, it's revelry. At the Christmas markets, spirits are high, festivities are in full swing and the scent of sugar roasted almonds and mulled wine is in the air.
Hotel L'Angleterre, all dressed up for Christmas
Christmas Market
Tivoli
Tivoli
And as you can see from the photos above, Copenhagen's November and December nights sparkle with tasteful decorations. You won’t see any gaudy colored lights or plastic Christmas trees here. Twinkling white lights illuminate the outdoor Christmas trees, and suspended across the streets, giant garlands of real spruce surround huge red hearts.

Last but far from least, I must mention the benignly named Christmas lunches. In reality, Christmas lunches are 6-16 hour drinking escapades that start with a lunch of pickled herring, eggs and rye bread, roast pork, blood sausage, filet of fish breaded with rye and remoulade, leverpostej (surprisingly delicious liver pate), frikadeller (Danish meat balls), rice pudding and lots and lots of snaps (shots). Suffice it to say, this year's Google Christmas party in Copenhagen is currently tied for first place with the NYC office's 2007 party at the Rainbow Room at the top of Rockefeller Center. Google Copenhagen's party started at the office at noon and ended at the club at 5am.  I'll leave most of this year's debauchery to your imagination with the exception of a few photos from my first "Christmas lunch" (also Mad Men themed):




Now do you understand why I'm not in a hurry to define an end date to my time here?

Comments

Popular Posts